Monday, December 3, 2012

Final Project Rape & Gender Roles

Look around you , and find out about more about the person sitting beside you!

In art there will always be a story behind a painting or a photograph, and its those stories that make the artwork. For this project I wanted to focus on the aspect of rape and how women were treated. I used artists such as Artemisia Gentileschi and Frida Kahlo. I began with a simple story about my history because my way of being an artist is by preaching my story. Being that I can't draw my story I focused on using a mirror, only because our reflect is what tells us a story about ourselves.  But artist like Artemisia Gentileschi, as we all know is a very well know artist who painted her story about rape. Rape is an act should be look upon more than anything, rape can happen to anyone surrounding one another. More detailed facts about  Rape, can be found on my slide share page. Not only did I focus on the facts about rape on the slideshare but on my paper I spoke about the trial that Artemisia Gentileschi had to go through as well as her other works. Than I spoke about Frida Kahlo  and how she suffered a lot with her love life and not being able to bare kids. I compared a similar story about my mother who was glad to let me preach to my peers about her hardships in her lifetime with my father. Frida Kahlo inspired me to go beyond my work and have my story be heard. 


 Rape awareness such as Project Unbreakable created by Grace Brown. She works with survivors of sexual assault photographing then holding a poster with a quote from their attacker. Being that I have reached out to people with my story I wish to continue and reach out to more than just my community. Other rape awareness projects address the issue by using rape victims and having them preach their word to other just like I am doing in my class. I am trying to tell my own classmate that the person next to you has a history just like everyone else. I would like to start my own awareness by having people look in the mirror and tell their own story by their own reflection of themselves. It would help other to build their confidence as a woman or a man to reach out to others who could help them. Art has so many histories behind it and everyone in this world is a piece of art, we each have our own story to tell. 
`

READ ME NOW !



5 comments:

  1. -I really enjoyed your presentation in class and was very touched. i applaud you and admire you for using your life experience to educate others, very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your presentation and it takes a lot of courage to actually accept what you have gone through and a lot of courage to talk about to others and I think it's great that you did because rape is a very important issue and you did a great job presenting it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a truely fantastic presentation...soooo inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to commend you for the strength you had to sit there in front of a bunch of strangers and tell a story alot would let haunt them in their minds everyday. You actually made me tear up and Im happy you have a voice not only for your own sake but so that others understand that they're not alone in this cold world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your presentation was so touching and you are an amazing person for doing what you did. You made us aware of things that we normally don't really think about. I wish you the best of luck with the orginization you want to set up and I am sure that you will do great things for others. You really are an inspiration. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

    ReplyDelete