Sunday, September 9, 2012

Hello everyone,


          My name is Alejandro Hincapie. I’m currently a junior perusing a major in Art History and possibly a minor in Journalism / Media Studies.  Growing up, my interest in and appreciation for art was fostered the most by my older brother being an artist. I myself have always enjoyed drawings buildings and large structures and even considered architecture school, but I was always very interested in other things to really focus on a single field. Today, what interests me the most is the relationships between art, music, architecture, film, design, fashion, and culture at large. How they dictate and influence one another. How they've developed simultaneously, converging and diverging from one another.

         It’s this interest in the relationship between creative mediums that led me to study Art History. Eventually, I’d love to be working as an editor or artistic director for an art / design publication such as Art in America or even something more pop-culture focused such as Interview Magazine. It would also be great to work with an artist or designer by applying what I've learned to the production of their creative output.

         When it comes to women and art, what interests me is what role art itself has in dictating the societal conditions of women. It’s easy to imagine that the present day societal conditions of women would be different if art had always depicted women differently or if more female artists had received greater recognition. But arguably, art doesn’t just work to dictate and change culture, it also works to reflect it.  It’s interesting to think about what is needed to tip the role of art when it comes to women’s representation and recognition from one that simply reflects society, to one that actually changes it.

         Below are two mini collages I created for a (now defunct, sadly) online art and fashion publication / blog that I interned for last spring.They were for a piece I wrote about how the works of certain artists were infused into the collection of certain designers' spring collections.



The advertising campaign for Jil Sander's Spring 2012 collection heavily referenced the work of  mid-century filmmaker Alfred Hitchcock.   

Prabal Guring Spring 2012 was inspired by the work of Japanese photographer Nobuyoshi Araki, namely his Sensual Flowers and Bondage series.


It’s interesting  how these different notions and representations of "femininity" (Hitchcock’s 1950’s blonde archetype, Araki’s Sensual Flowers and Bondage series) worked as the creative basis for a product meant for women and how these allusions to "femininity" were clearly decipherable in the product’s marketing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment